Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Miracle of Moving


What a difference a week makes. Last week at this time my family and I were finishing up packing so we could move out of the town we were in, up into the mountains ,where we are now. What total insanity and chaos it was, but oh what peace and quiet we have now. We went from constant noise, from early in the morning to late at night , continuous traffic, sirens and such, to the sounds of the wind, birds and rain. What a difference.

I should point out to you that, financially speaking, we were not quite prepared to move. At the beginning of May we hadn't even been really looking , so we had started off the month paying the rent and our bills and getting the things that we usually do with out a inkling of a thought that we were going to move soon. The house we were living in had issues, mold and mildew, due to a leaky roof and a lack of insulation but after looking hard and long during February and March ,as our lease was about to end, we hadn't been successful in finding anything, so we decided, in April, that we would stay put until we could afford to buy again.
Having made that decision, once again, I learned that G-D has plans that generally do not involve our timing or even our efforts filled with hidden miracles.

On the second day of May, my wife was on line just glancing at adds for places to rent, not a hard search mind you, just kind of glancing as she was looking for something else, when she ran across an add for this place. She told me about it and showed me the pictures ( she found them on a real estate page later that day) and asked me if I thought it was worth a call. We were somewhat reluctant, because of all the fruitless searching that we had endured, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a call so I told her to go ahead. My wife called and talked to the owner for quite awhile, and he seemed interested in meeting us, but he told us that he had others that were ahead of us that he had to talk to and that he would call us in the next week.

We basically figured that was the last we were going to hear from him. Eight days later he called us back and wanted to know if we were still interested in looking at the house. We made the arrangements to look at in the afternoon and, to make a longish story short, shortly after we got home he called to offer us the place. This was the 10th of May. We made the arrangements to move in on the 29Th.

So we now had three less then three weeks to make arrangements to move,pick up some things that we needed, and pack. Just to add a little more fun to it, I had what was left of my bottom teeth removed right in the middle of all the packing.

 The house we found is the kind of place that we have been looking for our entire lives together. It is way out on a dirt road up on a mountain. We are surrounded by trees and usually the loudest thing we hear now is birds or the wind. It seems to us that finding this was a miracle, however the financial part was the real surprise miracle.

We had very little money to work with,especially after putting a deposit on this house, yet we needed to get a refrigerator, a propane tank, and rent a truck, not to mention paying for the gas of that truck, and still eat and live while packing. Neither one of us thought that we would make it to moving day with any money left.
Obviously we did manage to get here, but when we sat down to balance the check book,we found that we had spent more money then we actually had prior to being paid. We were trying hard to be careful with what we spent but somehow we went over and yet nothing bounced, nothing was rejected, we never noticed and here we are.

Next morning as I was pondering this I ran across a proverb that I thought I might share because it seems to answer my question as to how or even why we were able to do this with literally nothing to spare.

Proverbs 1:33 " But he who listens to me will dwell in safety, Untroubled by the terror of misfortune."

I don't suppose any of us really listen to G-D the way we should, though I'd like to think that we try, but when it became obvious to us that we weren't getting anywhere in our search we took the hint that G-D was telling us to wait and stopped and when the time was right, when we weren't really looking we found this house. The misfortune would have come on the day we moved because, technically speaking, we were flat out broke, but we weren't aware of that fact and, as I said earlier, it wasn't until we balanced the check book that we found we had some how gone over what we had.

You may come to your own conclusions. I can only tell you that we listened to G-D and here we are.
Shalom


No comments: