Monday, June 18, 2012

Ephraim Is My First Born


Saturday morning my wife and I were having our coffee, out back on the deck, and were talking about just where it is that we fit in the grand scheme of things. We don’t belong to any clubs or social groups and, because we are non-Christians in a Christian dominated society, we don’t even have any church affiliation. We are literally alone. Yes, I have a blog or two that I can write, and hopefully my wife can find a local homeschool group for her and the kids, but the reality is that there just isn’t any group out there that really matches what we need. I have never heard of any churches or homeschool groups that have non-Christian, yet G-D fearing agenda, most of the time they are either Christian or Jewish or just secular in nature. I can’t just run around the corner and find a local congregation or group that quite fits what we are looking for. So the question of where we fit has been a constant question for the both of us.
Then yesterday a friend of mine, who is Jewish and lives in Israel, posted something on FB that reminded me that I do belong somewhere and that G-D does have a plan for my future and that it will be better than anything I have ever known.
Jeremiah 31:9 JPS “They shall come with weeping, and with compassion will I guide them. I will lead them to streams of water, by a level road where they will not stumble. For I am ever a Father to Israel, Ephraim is My first born.”
This brought me to tears and at the same time brought me much comfort.
The reason that this means so much to me actually starts at the end of the verse with the phrase “Ephraim is My first born.” It is my belief, based on research found on a website called Brit Am and my own study, that many of us here and in Europe, particularly the coastal countries, are descendants of the lost tribes of Israel. You may disagree with that notion if you wish, but ask yourself this question; if my ancestors came from (pick your country) where did their ancestors come from? Historical records, biblical accounts, as well as many cultural traditions, would suggest that many of us are actually descendants of the lost tribes of Israel.
So keeping that thought in mind, when G-D speaks of Ephraim or Manasseh or just straight out calls Israel by name, He is speaking of us. Therefore the promises of bringing Ephraim home and restoring him to his land and birthright as children of Israel belong to us.
So the verse was a reminder to me, and I hope to you as well, that while we may not see everything at this moment, while we might feel very alone, G-D has a plan for our future and He has promised to return us back to our heritage.
Shalom

No comments: