Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I know Nothing

I don't know. Other then your children uttering them, how many times have you asked a question of someone, who should know the answer to the question, and they say to you I don't know? It's probably not as often as you might think. I have discovered that when most folks are given that question, and they are the acknowledged brainiacs of said subject, that they tend to either try to blow you away with much talking and wind or they go the route of vague generalities and silence. We took our home school group, a few years ago, to see an exhibition of recovered items from "The World Of Pharaohs" at a museum that I won't name. The exhibition it's self was great but it turned out that the kids knew more about what was there then the tour guide that we were given. In all fairness to the woman, our kids had been studying this for months and I think could have named all the major and minor gods in alphabetical order, and I think she had been pressed into service at the last moment, but rather then admit this, she tried real hard to bull her way through it. It must have been hard on her to have 12 year old's know more about what was going on then she did. "I don't know" could have saved her a lot of embarrassment. Then there are the scientist. The really smart people who are supposed to have the answers to everything. Ask them a question sometimes and I swear you will get one of the most colorful and wordy " I don't knows" that you will ever hear. They will use words such as probably, perhaps, theorize and postulate, amongst others, and give you a lot of specialized words just to tell you that they really don't know. What , pray tell, is wrong with not knowing? Is it a sin or a crime to admit to not knowing everything ? I was watching a show on reincarnation and near death experiences the other night and the main person that they were interviewing, at the end of it, actually said that all he could do was base his evidence on what people had shared with him, and while he believed it was quite possibly real, he openly admitted that he didn't really know. If some of you are thinking ,well of course he didn't know because it's not real, then you are making my point. HOW DO YOU KNOW? Your not dead so therefore you can only guess based on your own personal beliefs and what you have been taught . Do you get my point? I saw a picture the other day, taken from Mars, that was of Earth. Our planet was little more then a pinprick in the far distance, I actually thought it was a speck of dust on the screen. If the earth is so insignificant just in our own solar system, and the ends of the known universe are billions of light years away, how is it that we tend to think that we know all the answers? Religious leaders will say we KNOW the truth. Scientists will disagree and say no your wrong,we KNOW the truth! Political leaders and dictators and just about anyone with any kind of opinion will all claim that they KNOW and yet the truth of it all is that none of us really know. Perhaps if collectively we could all come to understand just how little we know and just how vast the universe and all it's unknowns are, we could get passed all our petty differences and make this world a better place. Bottom line for me is that I don't claim to know anything. Nothing. Nada.Zilch. I'll leave all the great wisdom to those with the degrees and technical skills. I will, how ever try to embrace the fact that my knowledge of things is rather small and embrace those who feel the same as I do and who knows maybe it will turn out that we knew more then we thought.

No comments: