Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What would you ask of G-d?

I read an article recently, written by a Rabbi, that asked the question; What would you wish for yourself over the course of the next year until next Rosh HaShanna? I found it to be a very interesting question because I can name all sorts of things that I would wish for my friends and my family but I don't do so well for myself. I am so bad at stuff like that, actually my wife is too, that we have to buy things for each other even when they are actually needed. So for me to think about what I would wish for and actually have the honesty and courage to ask G-d for is quite an unnerving thought. Because these are the days of awe, when G-d decides the fate of everyone on the planet, culminating on Yom Kippur,I don't really believe that it's meant to be taken lightly. So what would I ask for?

First I would ask for the added desire to live a more Jewish life. I am not Jewish, at least nothing I can prove, but still the pull is there. I desire to live my life more in harmony with the ways of HaShem and the Jewish people and more quickly identify myself with their beliefs. I understand that there are already laws in place for Gentiles but my hearts desire is to be more. That would be my ultimate request.

Then I would ask G-d to help me be a better husband to my wife and a better father to all my children. That is something I have failed at more often then not. Truly I want nothing more than a happy simple life for my family.

Last, I think I would ask G-d for a small home in the country with a plot of land to have a garden and where we could watch nature. I don't want anything fancy, just a place where my family and I could stay for awhile, and my wife and I could grow old together, in our own little Hobbit home.

That’s it nothing fancy. I don't desire great wealth or a mansion, not even better health ,because I know that this life soon passes, and none of it comes with me.

So with that thought in mind,I wish for all of you a happy new year and a blessed year as well.

Shalom.



No comments: