Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Hope Of Passover and Easter

This morning, as my usual habits are, I made the mistake of spending some time looking at the news on line. I say mistake because after such a wonderful weekend I was shoved back into the very real and very ugly world of politics and the workings of evil people. This past weekend saw my family and I having a full passover Seder at our house and then going to the Temple on Shabbat. I saw all the multitudes of posts of my Christian friends enjoying the wonders of Easter and I got up this morning thinking to myself that all is well in my world and the worlds of most of my friends. Then I looked at the news. Corruption, war and hatred fill the pages. People rushing headlong into insanity and destruction, and wanting to take the world with them, is the norm now instead of the exception, and this is what I greeted the day with. I don't suppose, realistically speaking, that it really changed anything about this weekend or the joy it brought to me and countless others, but I am always amazed at just how quickly all that can be forgotten in just a matter of minutes. So why bother to celebrate these holy days if it doesn't change anything in this world? I think there are two reasons, one is because it brings us closer to G-D when we remember His deliverance, and really that's what both holidays are about, and because these holy days bring us hope. Both holidays, remind us of divine deliverance from intense evil against all human odds. They remind us that even in the midst of things that we can't even begin comprehend, G-D is there. And it's a reminder to us that one individual can make a difference if they so choose. Islam can't offer that. To them we are all infidels worthy of nothing but death if we don't convert to their oppressive form of religion. Atheism can't offer it because all they rely on is science and have no hope of anything after this life. In our hurry to be PC and to appease those that hate us we have forgotten the very principals, the very hope, that we were originally founded on, principals that can be found in most of the worlds religions. Instead we have opted out for revisionists who try to tell us that the founders were not godly ,religious men, and that our Constitution was not founded on those basic moral principals. In it's own subtle way, trying to kill the hope of the future we once had. If we ignore G-D or pretend that he doesn't exist, then where does our hope come from? Where does the founding principals of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness come from? The point is this, we need these holy days to remind us of the love and mercy of G-D. We need these holidays to remind us that our hope comes from him and not man and that in the midst of all the chaos, G-D is still there and He is still directing events in this world and that in the end His will, will prevail. Shalom.

No comments: