Sunday, June 20, 2010

Leprechauns and Fairies

Last night my family and I watched a movie that has grown to be one of our favorites by the name of " The Magical Legend of The Leprechauns" created by Hallmark Entertainment. When we got to the end of the movie my newly turned 13 year old son made a comment that I thought was rather profound, not so much because it came from him but perhaps because I could understand his sentiments real well. What he said was this; "I don't know why but the end of the movie makes me sad." I understood exactly what he was talking about because it did the same thing to me, it always has ,but this was the first time that he had expressed such sentiment. Now for those of you who don't know this movie at the end their is a uniting of two kingdoms one of Fairies and the other of the Leprechauns through the wedding of the princess of the fairies to the leader of the Leprechauns son.It is a joyous occasion and there is much celebrating, but in the end the fairies and the leprechauns all start to disappear and you are left with the two humans that witnessed everything. Between all the happiness and the music it really plucks at your heart strings, but why should it make me and my son so sad? It was ,after all, a happy occasion.

I admit, that I am a romantic of sorts and that I love a good story where love wins, or the good guys triumph over all odds and the bad guys get their due but I have to wonder what about it can make me so emotional. The above mentioned movie has quite a bit of conflict in it, along with a lot of humor, before you ever get to the part of the rejoicing and wedding and so you can run the whole gambit of emotions but in the end it's just a movie so what does this to me?

I have a thought , nothing earth shattering or profound, but I wonder if G-D just kind of wired us this way. What I mean is that in our life we look at the world around us and can see that things just aren't right. So when we read a story thats really good or watch a movie, we get caught up in that world and we forget about our own, even if it's just for a few minutes, and when it's all over and the good guys have won and all is right in that world, you have to leave it and come back to this world. The sadness and craziness of our own world still waits but somewhere deep in our hearts we long for something better. Is there hope here that in the end G-D wins? Yes of course there is, but at the moment we can't see it and so it becomes easy to become a part of someone else's world and long for a better one in ours or wish that we could disappear into that one.

We have a picture on our wall that shows a log cabin, next to a lake/stream with woods and a mountain in the background, there is soft light coming out from the cabin and wood smoke coming from the chimney. I have stared at that picture at times and have wished that I could just step into it and vanish from this insane world but sadly I can't. Some might think I need to get a grip on reality, but I would submit to you that reality ,as we know it, needs to get a grip on G-D because with out His intervention our reality is going to destroy us.

I tend to believe though that our final ending is going to take on the qualities of some of our favorite movies. The scriptures, and this is true of both Christian and Jewish scripture, tells that in the end, G-D does win, His Anointed is king and we will live without fear. That is what I believe that my heart,and my sons, is longing for and that is why it makes us sad, it may have happened in the story but it hasn't happened to us yet. The day is coming, but it's just not here yet.
Meanwhile I'll keep watching fairies and leprechauns getting married and enjoy the touch of sadness...
Shalom,
Ignacio

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I had to laugh a bit at the "romantic" part of your tale, as you are so am I and I cry or get saddened by movies with weddings or "the good guy/ or gal wins. This is as you put it so well, our wish for ourselves one day.

Well my daughter and I watched the movie "Ever After." Its a movie of the "cinderella" story but not animated. In the end it has "cinderella" marrying her prince and see the wicked step mother and step sisters "getting theirs." And we cry and laugh almost together - so I so understand what your saying!!
Amen to hoping it happens soon to our lives.. Tracey