Monday, May 24, 2010

Holding Grudges

Early this morning the life of someone that I never got to know very well came to an end. She had been ill for quite some time so none of this comes as any surprise, but as it is with me, when there are issues concerning death it saddens me greatly.
The real tragedy though is not that she died, as I said she had been ill for a long time, but that she held onto grudges until the end.

What a waste of life. I know it's not good to speak ill of the dead but in this case I am not speaking ill I am simply speaking the truth and I should point out that the issue isn't just with her, but goes throughout her entire family.

I have never known people that will fight and bicker over such trivial issues to the point of not speaking to each other,as this family does, instead using others to be their messengers for them. Well today the messengers end and now you have nothing but your own shame and stupidity to show for it. Surprise! Life ends.

The sad part is that those in this family that need to read this won't see it. They will be busy making arrangements for the funeral and, I am hoping, regretting the years that have gone by, wasted by anger over stupid, trivial and meaningless things.

There are however some of you who may be reading this that I have hurt and offended over the years. If this is the case, or if you know someone whom I have hurt and offended in some way; I simply ask for your forgiveness, I don't want to spend another moment in anger or grudges.
I know of at least two whom I have hurt in the past. The first is my oldest daughter, but because she has G-D in her life and I apologized for what I had done, she forgave me and as a result we now have a dad/daughter relationship. I cannot make up for the years lost, but we can go on from here and we have.
The other person is someone that I grew up with,went to school with,literally from diaper days, and yet a few years ago, through a misunderstanding on my part, which I apologized for,she has come to hold a grudge against me. Thing's happen and mistakes are made but is holding a grudge really worth it?

If you are holding a grudge, let me ask you a really simple question;Why?
Who said that you or that other person is going to be alive , even as soon as later on today? Are you G-D? Do you know the length of your own days , never mind everyone else? No you don't. So why do it, why hang on to something that really is only killing you? Someone on Face Book posted a saying that goes something to the effect of "Holding a grudge is like you drinking poison and then expecting the other person to die" it's stupid and a waste of the time that G-D has given you in this life.

I have heard it said that the best time of the year to be in Israel is just before Yom Kippur, the Day Of Atonement. I have been told that it is the one time of the year where everyone is nice to each other and people go out of their way to seek out forgiveness and to grant the same to those that have done them harm. The reason for that is that they believe that on the Day of Atonement,G-D passes His judgement on everyone and that all nations and peoples fates, for the next year, are decided on that day. So ,accordingly, they wish to be right with both G-D and their fellow man.
We should live our lives everyday like that. Forgive each other, make things right with G-D and with your fellow man and or family, or you just might wake up tomorrow and find out that the time that you thought that you had has just run out.

Shalom,
Ignacio

No comments: